10 Tips to Get Off Your Butt
Back when I was running an average of 6 miles a day, one thing was always certain: the first mile was always the hardest. I loved running but there were days where I didn’t want to run — but once I started, I didn’t want to stop. On those days when getting out the door was tough, my reason would compromise with my desire-to-chill in order to get my body moving. Here are some of the tips I learned to get out the door and how I have adapted them for different areas to get my “butt off the couch” – Please use what you can, change what you need, discard what doesn’t work:
1) For running/walking/biking: All I need to do is go around the block. 1 block. 5 minutes. That is all.
2) For running/walking/biking: All I need to do is make it to that lightpost/tree/stopsign/*insert*.
3) For meditation: 5 minutes is all I need.
4) For meditation: Just 1 minute. Just 1 minute.
5) Yoga practice at home: 3 sun saluations, that is it. Maybe a warrior II…
6) Yoga practice at a studio: All I have to do is breathe.
7) Yoga practice at a studio: I can be in child’s pose is all else fails.
8) Quitting smoking (taking a friend’s word on this technique): All I have to do is not smoke this hour/meal/day
9) For not eating that yummy temptation: hmmm– I haven’t figured that out yet
10) For anything: Don’t think, move
Ultimately, if you enjoy something that is biggest draw — remember what you love and do it. Adapt these for your life. I would LOVE to hear your motivational tools.
In Joy, Yogis!